On Wednesday, July 31, 2019, seven members of MSRN held an ASK THE EXPERT Panel at Pikesville Senior Center. Deb Bakalich was the facilitator and the panel members were:
1)Michelle Fritsch, Pharm. D., Meds Mash, LLC and Retirement Wellness Strategies. Michelle explained that her company is dedicated to proactive collaborative health, especially for those in their senior years. She went on to say whether you are wrestling with a current health issue, worried about a healthy future, or figuring what comes next, we are here to guide and assist you through these critical life moments. Michelle talked about how as we age, our body changes. So we need to stay ahead of the changes and understand what they are.
2) Myra Katz, Patient Advocate, Katz Patient Advocate, Inc. Myra is a trained Physician Assistant advocating for patients. Patients are often blindsided by their diagnosis, perhaps cancer, and are fearful and confused at how to navigate the medical world. That is what Myra does. She will go to doctor’s appointments with you, be there when you come out of surgery, help you through the cancer maze. She reminded us that we have a right to have a copy of the report that goes into our file after a visit. That way you can read it and see if you forgot something that was said or if there are mistakes on the report.
3) Ann Patterson, Broadmead Continuing Care Retirement Community spoke next. Ann discussed the comprehensive rehab facility offered at Broadmead, in Cockeysville. You do not have to be a resident for the use of their Rehab facility. For residents, Broadmead provids a lifestyle that meets the needs and standards of each person.
4) Bruce Goodman, NHA, Private Duty Home Care – BrightStar. BrightStar provides services helping seniors remain safe at home. BrightStar employees come to your home and help with: bathing, toileting, transfers, med reminders, meal prep, light housework, laundry and errands. Skilled nursing is also offered at BrightStar. Not all agencies are qualified to offer skilled nursing care. All of their caregivers are employees not sub-contractors.
5) Doanna Canapp, COTA/L, Computer/Internet Counseling for Seniors is about helping seniors take that first step into the world of technology or simply refresh current knowledge. Her company will update you with the latest software. Teach you how to use your laptop, desktop computer, tablet, or smart phone. One-to-one training is offered in the client’s own home.
6) Bracha Poliakoff, LCSW-C, Life Bridge Health/Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center. Bracha explained what Partial Hospitalization is. It is a therapeutic day program for older adults who are struggling with behavioral health challenges, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc. At the day program, Bracha will discuss living options, costs and preparation for the transition to a senior facility and decide which is best for you, and if that is right for you.
The Pikesville Senior Center attendees were interested in what we had to say and had many excellent questions. Some of these questions answered questions other attendees had and helped everyone to a better understanding. Several attendees requested phone numbers of each of the panelists. Many topics were covered and we think it was a very successful event!
This Post Submitted by Pat France, MSRN Member